13 Most Ethnically Diverse Countries in the World in 2018

Let’s proceed to the list of the most ethnically diverse countries in the world in 2018. Insider Monkey has recently published an interesting article about it. Ethnicity is usually an inherited status based on the society you are born and live in. People who share the same ethnicity share the same cultural heritage, ancestry, language or dialect, religion, etc. Earlier, Insider Monkey has come up with the most multicultural countries in the world, where Belgium, Sweden, and Slovenia were just a few of the most culturally diverse countries in the world we included in the list. So, if you want to find out what is the most multicultural country in the world, read till the end.

Pixabay/Public domain

Now without a further ado let’s see what Insider Monkey has investigated for us. We have picked three of the  most ethnically diverse countries in the world in 2018 from their list.

The first one is Somalia. The main ethnic group in Somalia are the Somali, who make up about 85% of total population of the country. The other 15% of the population is comprised of minority ethnic groups. There are notable Pakistani and Indian populations in Somalia as well as Ethiopians. Several African groups that belong to the Bantu language are also present. The second country should be Nigeria. Nigeria is a very ethnically diverse country with over 500 languages and ethnic groups. The largest ethnic groups include Hausa who make up for about 25% of the entire population, (about 67 million people) Yoruba (21%), Igbo (18%), Ijaw, Kanuri, Fulani etc. The Hausa culture is very similar throughout Nigeria. They practice Islam as their main religion, they raise livestock and grow crops. The Yoruba people, the second largest ethnic group in Nigeria, are usually Muslim or Christian but a large number of them still value the religious beliefs and practices of their ancestors. At last, but not least here’s Chad. It is another very ethnically diverse country with hundreds of ethnic groups. The Sara and the Arabas are the most populous ethnic groups in Chad, according to WordAtlas, and it makes up for about 28% of the entire population. A significant part of the group still practices traditional faiths. The Arabs constitute about 12% of Chad’s population and they are subdivided into three groups: the Hassuna, the Juhayna, and the Awlad Sulayman. Approximately, there are about 180 ethnic groups and over one hundred languages are spoken in the country. Other important ethnic groups besides the Sara and the Arabs include Daza, Mayo-Kebbi, Kanem, Bornou, etc.

For any further useful information, read Insider Monkey’s article about 13 most ethnically diverse countries in the world in 2018.

Related posts

Leave a Comment